Monday, August 17, 2009

New Wildlife



This week provided opportunities for Adam and I to better get to know the native insects of South Carolina. We were forewarned about Palmetto bugs - large cockroaches, and we've had colossal flies in the backyard, but this week we met the FIRE ANTS. Friday morning Adam and I were going about our morning routine, drinking my coffee, eatin' breakfast, watching the Today show.... when I noticed this large brown mound in the backyard. Adam and I first thought it was a dead woodchuck, but we found out after further inspection it was a large pile of dirt swarming with little little brown ants. Overnight they had successfully dug up a huge pile of dirt and formed a thriving ant colony. It took us probably all of 10 minutes once we figured out what the mound was to hop in the car, drive to Lowe's and pick out the most powerful fire ant killer they sold. We actually porbably spread some sort of toxic chemical over the backyard because it killed 'em or caused them to at least abandon their new dirt pile home. As long as that homes' not in my backyard - that's fine with me.


Here's a picture of Mittens - she looks a little possessed with her yellow eyes - part of the reason we don't touch her, just watch from afar. The kittens are doing well - they sometimes sleep on the back porch underneath the hose reel; the other night they were playing with eachother on the back step and hitting the door which made quite the racket while Adam and I were watching a movie.

Adam is busy this week with more football practice at Wilson High School. He hasn't started working in the clinic yet - one more week off. I've started full time working on the dialysis floor now. 6a-6p three days a week. I never knew my body could get out of bed on a regular basis at 5am, let alone actually function.

We visited another new church this past weekend - another possibility. It's a little more what we're used to, but it would probably take a little more effort on our part to get to know other people. Please continue to pray for our church search!

I hope you all have a great week!

Leah

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your two year anniversary! It looks like you guys are having a great time in SC.

    If you're ever going through Toledo on a trip back to MI, feel free to stop by.

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete